Skip to main content

The Last Summer by Brandy Bruce

Well, ya'll... Summer is coming to a close. I know, I know. It's only the second week of August, you say, but this month will fly by before we know it! And next we'll be bustin' out the scarves, pumpkins, leaves, and cider. I have to admit, I am very anxious for fall as it is my favorite season, but I was grateful to get in one last summery read for this current season.

My final summer contemporary was an uplifting and sweet story that followed Sara Witherspoon and her 6 closest friends as they navigate the waters of being twenty-somethings. Life changes are coming and it can be a tricky time, often hard to find peace and know when to wait and when to jump in and go after new opportunities. And I should know- I'm the exact age of the main character- 27!

Check out the beautiful cover below and read my 5 part review.

Click the cover to read the full synopsis on Goodreads!

1. Characters: Oh gosh. Here we go... Can I just say.. I really want Sara's friends to be my friends. I actually messaged the author (who was kind enough to send me this book to review!) on Instagram halfway through reading and actually said that exact thing. I want these friends. Don't get me wrong, I definitely have friends I can count on. The trouble is, we're kind of spread out at the moment. Being in your 20's means career starts, engagements, baby announcements, moving days... All exciting stuff for sure. But it definitely creates a bit of distance and even sometimes tension between friendships. The group of friends in this book isn't perfect, but they are close and they do their best to help one another cope with the changes life is bringing to each of them. I would actually love a spin-off novel for one or two of the characters, but I won't give away who here. Go read for yourself! :)

2. Story: Like I said, this book is particularly perfect for me as it is the exact stage of life I'm in. The author presents this story in a very real and relatable way, and she sprinkles in words of wisdom and Truth throughout. This story does have Christian tones, and I really appreciated the way the author incorporated that. Not much fiction out there is aimed at twenty-somethings, let alone Christian twenty-something, let alone Christian twenty-somethings living in the south (Arkansas/Oklahoma girl here, hey ya'll), so this book really felt uniquely written just for me; however, I truly feel anyone can enjoy this refreshing story.

3. Author's Writing Style: When asked to review books for some authors in the past, I have delicately mentioned that their writing shows real potential- and that's true! But in this case, I felt that the writing was already flawless. The events of the story flowed seamlessly together, and the characters were developed naturally. Nothing felt forced or unbelievable. I truly felt that the author was able to connect with me- the reader- in a special way through her writing. I will definitely be reading more by her!! You rock, Brandy!

4. Overall Rating: 5 Stars. No complaints here! Except... Can you please write more, Brandy??

5. Similar Reading: Check out a couple of similar Christian Fiction works below! Click the covers to visit their Goodreads pages.

          
 
**If you'd like to WIN a copy of The Last Summer, check out my bookstagram and visit the post below for details! Giveaway contest ends next Sunday, August 20th.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BOOK TOUR! The Weaver's Daughter by Sarah E. Ladd

Huge thank-you to TLC Book Tours for sending me a copy of The Weaver's Daughter by Sarah E. Ladd. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I've read other works by Ms. Ladd, and she has a wonderful talent! I love her characters! Synopsis: Kate's loyalties bind her to the past. Henry's loyalties compel him to strive for a better future. In a landscape torn between tradition and vision, can two souls find the strength to overcome their preconceptions? Loyalty has been at the heart of the Dearborne family for as long as Kate can remember, but a war is brewing in their small village, one that has the power to rip families asunder--including her own. As misguided actions are brought to light, she learns how deep her father's pride and bitterness run, and she begins to wonder if her loyalty is well-placed. Henry Stockton, heir to the Stockton fortune, returns home from three years at war seeking refuge from his haunting memories. Determined to bury the pa

BOOK TOUR STOP! The Austen Escape by Katherine Reay

Attention, attention! Do you love stories of friendship, romance and mystery? Do you like Jane Austen? You don't want to miss this fun chick-lit novel!! The Austen Escape is totally unique and filled with unforgettable chapters. It's a great read for the upcoming holidays!  Check out the synopsis below: "After years of following her best friend's lead, Mary Davies finds a whimsical trip back to Austen's Regency England paves the way towards a new future. Mary Davies lives and works in Austin, Texas as an industrial engineer. She has an orderly and productive life, a job and colleagues that she enjoys- particularly a certain adorable, intelligent, and hilarious consultant. But something is missing for Mary. When her estranged and emotionally fragile childhood best friend Isabel Dwyer offers Mary a two-week stay in a gorgeous manor house in Bath, Mary reluctantly agree to come along in hopes that the holiday will shake up her quiet life in jus

BOOK TOUR!! The Heart Between Us by Lindsay Harrel

What a beautiful spring day to feature a beautiful book! 💗 From author Lindsay Harrel comes a refreshing contemporary novel about taking a risk, seeking adventure, and falling in love with life. Click to see this image in my bookstagram feed! Synopsis: Megan Jacobs always wished for a different heart.Her entire childhood was spent in and out of hospitals, sitting on the sidelines while her twin sister Crystal played all the sports, got all the guys, and had all the fun. But even a heart transplant three years ago wasn't enough to propel Megan's life forward. She's still working as a library aide in her hometown and living with her parents, dreaming of the adventure she plans to take "once she's well enough." Meanwhile, her sister is a successful architect with a handsome husband and the perfect life-or so Megan thinks. When her heart donor's parents give Megan their teenage daughter's journal-complete with an unfulfilled bucket list-Mega