Skip to main content

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews

Honestly, I have to start out by saying I'm surprised this book (and its movie adaptation) weren't a bigger hit. I went in with fairly low expectations and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed reading it and how quickly I was able to fly through it.

I picked this up after finishing a contemporary, a fantasy, a sci-fi, and a historical fiction already this month and being unsure of what genre I was in the mood for next. I flipped through this book (which I had purchased on a whim at a thrift store for 50 cents a few months back) and noticed that it had some unique inserts including lists, asides, and what appeared to be scripts (you know, like for a movie or play). Once I saw that diversity in writing, I knew this was my next read. I love when novels have enhancements like that. It varies the story-telling and keeps me from getting bored. But enough of that, I guess I should save it for the review.

 So, here we go!

Click the cover to read the full synopsis on Goodreads!
1. Characters: I really enjoyed the characters. Sure, the narrator, Greg, and his friend/co-worker, Earl, use some pretty inappropriate language basically the entire time. But, I mean, they're teenage boys and they talked like a lot of teenage boys (not all, but a lot). I liked their friendship and when Rachel (the dying girl) was added to the mix she brought a new shade of character to the story as well. They were each unique, but each complimented the cast of other characters, if that makes sense. It was a well-balanced ensemble.

2. Story: This may seem like a stereotypical teenage romance where a dying girl and an average boy fall in love, but it's not. There's an innocence to this story that can't be found in many other YA works. There's also a bluntness, a truth, that is very rare when handling such sensitive topics, such as teenage cancer/illness (or any cancer/illness I suppose). I started reading expecting something similar to A Walk to Remember or The Fault in Our Stars, but this is not those stories. This story stands on its own, and it does so very strongly, I might add.

3. Author's Writing Style: Would I read more by Jesse Andrews? Absolutely. I plan on it, in fact. If he includes little enhancements like he did in this novel, then that's a bonus. However, even if his other works are less creatively presented, I still think I would enjoy them. I felt like every sentence was intentional. Even the ones that are really only there to make you chuckle because they're sarcastic or a demonstration of the narrator's rambling thoughts. The writing is colorful and flows, even its moments of madness.

4. Overall Rating: 4/5 Stars. I will likely re-read this again someday, and I've already begun recommending it to others. I will be looking up and looking forward to other works by this author as well. And, I already watched the movie and was overall very pleased with it (minus the last 20-30 minutes or so which veered from the book).

5. Similar Reading: Like I said, this book really stands on its own. I wouldn't say the other novels that generally come to mind when you think of YA books dealing with cancer/illness are comparable or similar in any significant way. In fact, I struggle with what to even call "similar." However, I will say that it reminded me, in its uniqueness, of The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Thus, that is my only suggestion for similar reading and you can click the cover below to check it out as well.




Thanks, and happy reading!!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BOOK TOUR! The Weaver's Daughter by Sarah E. Ladd

Huge thank-you to TLC Book Tours for sending me a copy of The Weaver's Daughter by Sarah E. Ladd. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I've read other works by Ms. Ladd, and she has a wonderful talent! I love her characters! Synopsis: Kate's loyalties bind her to the past. Henry's loyalties compel him to strive for a better future. In a landscape torn between tradition and vision, can two souls find the strength to overcome their preconceptions? Loyalty has been at the heart of the Dearborne family for as long as Kate can remember, but a war is brewing in their small village, one that has the power to rip families asunder--including her own. As misguided actions are brought to light, she learns how deep her father's pride and bitterness run, and she begins to wonder if her loyalty is well-placed. Henry Stockton, heir to the Stockton fortune, returns home from three years at war seeking refuge from his haunting memories. Determined to bury the pa

BOOK TOUR STOP! The Austen Escape by Katherine Reay

Attention, attention! Do you love stories of friendship, romance and mystery? Do you like Jane Austen? You don't want to miss this fun chick-lit novel!! The Austen Escape is totally unique and filled with unforgettable chapters. It's a great read for the upcoming holidays!  Check out the synopsis below: "After years of following her best friend's lead, Mary Davies finds a whimsical trip back to Austen's Regency England paves the way towards a new future. Mary Davies lives and works in Austin, Texas as an industrial engineer. She has an orderly and productive life, a job and colleagues that she enjoys- particularly a certain adorable, intelligent, and hilarious consultant. But something is missing for Mary. When her estranged and emotionally fragile childhood best friend Isabel Dwyer offers Mary a two-week stay in a gorgeous manor house in Bath, Mary reluctantly agree to come along in hopes that the holiday will shake up her quiet life in jus

BOOK TOUR!! The Heart Between Us by Lindsay Harrel

What a beautiful spring day to feature a beautiful book! 💗 From author Lindsay Harrel comes a refreshing contemporary novel about taking a risk, seeking adventure, and falling in love with life. Click to see this image in my bookstagram feed! Synopsis: Megan Jacobs always wished for a different heart.Her entire childhood was spent in and out of hospitals, sitting on the sidelines while her twin sister Crystal played all the sports, got all the guys, and had all the fun. But even a heart transplant three years ago wasn't enough to propel Megan's life forward. She's still working as a library aide in her hometown and living with her parents, dreaming of the adventure she plans to take "once she's well enough." Meanwhile, her sister is a successful architect with a handsome husband and the perfect life-or so Megan thinks. When her heart donor's parents give Megan their teenage daughter's journal-complete with an unfulfilled bucket list-Mega