Skip to main content

The Summer I Turned Pretty (The Summer I Turned Pretty #1) by Jenny Han

*Sigh*


You know when I begin a review with a sigh, it's either really good... or really bad.

This one is exceptional. This is probably the 3rd or 4th time I've read this book in the last 10 years and never has it ever disappointed me. In fact, after a few rough days recently, I was looking for a reread that would be quick and reliable for giving me the feels and making me melt. This book (and entire trilogy) always does that for me. It's a great beach read, but even now, in the middle of January, while I am nowhere near a beach, it still was the perfect dosage of sunshine, romance, and escapism.

Click the cover to read the full synopsis on Goodreads!
Now, I know what you might be thinking. "The Summer I Turned Pretty?" Kind of a silly-sounding name. But that's really what this book is about! Isabel (Belly) spends every summer the same way-in a beach house with her mom and brother, Steven, shared by her mom's best friend and her two sons, Jeremiah and Conrad. Seeing Jeremiah and Conrad every summer has led to the development of friendships of course, but this summer.. This summer is different. Belly is turning 16 and the boys are starting to notice her in a different way. The friendship is still there, but is there something more?

I will admit, there are other covers for this series that, when I first saw, made me swoon. But after rereading book 1 this week (in a single sitting, I might add!), I am so so glad I have the original covers. They capture the feel of the story better, in my opinion.

1. Characters: The characters aren't cookie-cutter flawless. They're real, and I love them all. Honestly, I feel a bit like they're my own friends. Like I know them. Which is ridiculous... right? There are lots and lots of books with characters I enjoy, but there are very few that I feel intimately close to, and these characters are just that. 

2. Story: I gave you a brief rundown of the story already, so I'll skip the re-hash there. But let me just say, this story is beautiful. The fact that it's a trilogy is amazing, but the fact that this first book so solidly sets up a contemporary for later installments is what I love. Most contemporaries are stand-alones, which is fine, but with how developed and intimate (I know I already used that word, but I'm not sure what else to call it!) of a connection Jenny Han creates between the characters, the story simply had to extend beyond this first book. 

3. Author's Writing Style: Jenny Han. What can I say?? She's one of my auto-buy authors. She's never let me down, and I doubt she ever will. 

4. Overall Rating: 5 Stars, of course!!! If it's not on your Goodreads to-read shelf, add it now! You won't regret it. 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5821978-the-summer-i-turned-pretty

5. Similar Reading: For other great contemporaries or summer reads, check out these 3 titles below. You can click the cover of each to visit their Goodreads pages and learn more about them!

      



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BOOK TOUR! The Weaver's Daughter by Sarah E. Ladd

Huge thank-you to TLC Book Tours for sending me a copy of The Weaver's Daughter by Sarah E. Ladd. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I've read other works by Ms. Ladd, and she has a wonderful talent! I love her characters! Synopsis: Kate's loyalties bind her to the past. Henry's loyalties compel him to strive for a better future. In a landscape torn between tradition and vision, can two souls find the strength to overcome their preconceptions? Loyalty has been at the heart of the Dearborne family for as long as Kate can remember, but a war is brewing in their small village, one that has the power to rip families asunder--including her own. As misguided actions are brought to light, she learns how deep her father's pride and bitterness run, and she begins to wonder if her loyalty is well-placed. Henry Stockton, heir to the Stockton fortune, returns home from three years at war seeking refuge from his haunting memories. Determined to bury the pa

BOOK TOUR!! The Heart Between Us by Lindsay Harrel

What a beautiful spring day to feature a beautiful book! 💗 From author Lindsay Harrel comes a refreshing contemporary novel about taking a risk, seeking adventure, and falling in love with life. Click to see this image in my bookstagram feed! Synopsis: Megan Jacobs always wished for a different heart.Her entire childhood was spent in and out of hospitals, sitting on the sidelines while her twin sister Crystal played all the sports, got all the guys, and had all the fun. But even a heart transplant three years ago wasn't enough to propel Megan's life forward. She's still working as a library aide in her hometown and living with her parents, dreaming of the adventure she plans to take "once she's well enough." Meanwhile, her sister is a successful architect with a handsome husband and the perfect life-or so Megan thinks. When her heart donor's parents give Megan their teenage daughter's journal-complete with an unfulfilled bucket list-Mega

BOOK TOUR STOP! The Austen Escape by Katherine Reay

Attention, attention! Do you love stories of friendship, romance and mystery? Do you like Jane Austen? You don't want to miss this fun chick-lit novel!! The Austen Escape is totally unique and filled with unforgettable chapters. It's a great read for the upcoming holidays!  Check out the synopsis below: "After years of following her best friend's lead, Mary Davies finds a whimsical trip back to Austen's Regency England paves the way towards a new future. Mary Davies lives and works in Austin, Texas as an industrial engineer. She has an orderly and productive life, a job and colleagues that she enjoys- particularly a certain adorable, intelligent, and hilarious consultant. But something is missing for Mary. When her estranged and emotionally fragile childhood best friend Isabel Dwyer offers Mary a two-week stay in a gorgeous manor house in Bath, Mary reluctantly agree to come along in hopes that the holiday will shake up her quiet life in jus